19 Aug FaceBookIt: Makeup Inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Return of the King
and guest writer Tellie of Beauty By Tellie
Hey, Cheer Readers! Welcome to FaceBookIt, a Pillow Talk section where we come up with makeup looks based on our favorite book covers. Check out previous looks here!
This time, we teamed up with one of my favorite bloggers to read because her reviews on beauty and skin care products – especially her Monthly Skin Care Snippets – are always honest, funny and on point. It’s no other than the Subscription Boxes Queen herself, Tellie of Beauty By Tellie!
I really like the makeup look Tellie came up with. It’s bold and daring. Read on to check out the look Tellie created!
Hello, I’m Tellie and I blog at Beauty By Tellie.
A few weeks ago, Elaine invited me to collaborate for FaceBookIt. I’m not a huge reader but there are a few titles I consider my favorites – books that captured me and made me feel excited. Of this short list, I narrowed it down to J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King as it also features a lovely cover!
I chose this Canadian edition cover because it features a simple yet dramatic use of blue. I initially intended to do very dark eyes with bright blues peeking through, but this was insanely difficult to photograph. I reversed the intensities of my colors and ended up with a better look.
I took my Dollface 168 Color Eye Candy Palette due to its versatility as a costume palette. I used a satin sea foam green lid wash and denim matte crease color. I blended the crease with a thin crease brush loaded with a bit of low-shine graphite. Near the beginning and center of the eyes, I used a pearlescent white tinged with violet.
Individually, the colors are all over the place but they create that light blue look I had in mind. The charcoal diffused and topped on to the crease was crucial, it prevented things from getting too frosty or candy-looking. It pulled just enough depth and darkness.
I did a thick cat eye using Heroine Make Impact Liquid Liner and finished the eyes with lots of Make Up For Ever Aqua Smoky Lash mascara.
Ofra Lipstick in Midnight Blue has a very wet finish so I used Sally Hansen Invisible Lip Liner to prime and dull the shine. I then dabbed Ellana Minerals Sheer Velvet HD Powder over tissue to further dull the shine.
Other products used
- Urban Decay Complexion Primer Potion
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion
- Chanel CC Cream in 20 Beige
- Colour Collection Perfect Cover Cream Concealer in Natural
- FS Powder Blush in Warm Chiffon (to contour)
- The Face Shop Color Nuance for Cheek in PK101
- NYX Wonder Pencil #2
- K Palette Eyebrow Pencil in Grayish Brown
Now, let’s check out Elaine’s look!
For my look, I chose a (maybe) daytime and nighttime appropriate blue smokey eye with a bit of highlight on the cheeks and a muted nude for the lips. Watch the video below to see how I created this look.
- Happy Skin InstaBeauty Blur Cream
- L’Oreal Infallible Foundation in Buff
- K-Palette Zero Kuma Concealer Type #1
- Ben Nye Banana Powder
- theBalm Bahama Mama
- Benefit Rockateur Blush
- Benefit Watt’s Up! Highlighter
- Anastasia DipBrow Pomade in Ebony
- NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk
- Laura Mercier Matte Eye Colour in Fresco
- Clinique All About Shadow Single in Deep Dive
- Laura Mercier Matte Eye Colour in Truffle
- Laura Mercier Matte Eye Colour in Vanilla Nuts
- Make Up Geek Eyeshadow in Corrupt
- Clinique Cream Shaper for Eyes in Black Diamond
- Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge
- Beauty Cosmetics Flat Shader Brush
- Marionnaud Slanted Eyeline & Eyebrows Double Side Brush
- SIGMA E25 Blending Brush
- MAC 217 Blending Brush
- SIGMA E38 Diffused Crease Brush
- SIGMA E30 Pencil Brush
- SIGMA E21 Smudge Brush
- SIGMA F64 Soft Blend Concealer
- Real Techniques Contour Brush
- Real Techniques Powder Brush
- Real Techniques Blush Brush
And those are FaceBookIt looks #12 and #13. We hope you like these looks! 🙂
What books do you want me to recreate next? And how are guys finding this series? Do you like the video tutorials? Let us know in the comments below or tag us on Facebook. ☁
Recreating this look? Do not forget to tag us on Instagram: @bookbed!