15 Feb 8 Tips on Making the Best out of the Big Bad Wolf Book Sale #bigbadwolfbooksph
BY KB MENIADO
Seasoned book hoarders—nay, book lovers—know how to prepare for sales and fairs. But since this is the first time the Big Bad Wolf is here in the Philippines, I thought it would be helpful to share some of the things I’ve seen (learned) from the preview. These may help you navigate the sale better, and come out a successful and happy bookworm!
1. No maps are available but it is fairly easy to notice that the sale is divided into three major sections: Fiction, Non-Fiction and Children’s Books. Once you’re in a particular section, you’ll see table displays labeled according to genre or category.
For Fiction: General, Graphic Novel & Comics, Literature, Romance, Science Fiction & Fantasy, Young Adult
For Non-Fiction (arranged alphabetically only in this list): Architecture & Design, Art & Photography, Baking, Beauty & Fashion, Biographies & Memoirs, Business & Economics, Cook Books, Cookery, Crafts & Hobbies, Family & Relationships, Graphic Design, Health & Wellness, History, Humour, Language, Music & Movies, Pets & Nature, Puzzles & Games, Reference, Religion, Science & Technology, Self-Help, Sports, Transportation, Travel
For Children’s: Activity Books, Board Books, Picture Books, Reference, Readers
By the way, there’s also a tiny section beside Fiction that features Premium Books, which are more of coffee table books.
2. Books appear in multiple categories. They are also not arranged alphabetically, be that by title or author, or even format. Be extra patient and polite when asking help from staff. Don’t get frustrated! (Or, okay, maybe just a bit.) You’ll find what you’re looking for eventually… that is, if the sale carries it!
3. Speaking of, you may ask Customer Service for more help. It’s located between the Customer Storage area and Exit door to the Cashier, just behind the Sorting area. Parents whose kids texted them their book wishlists flocked the area, and the staff there was happy to accommodate.
4. Yes, there’s a Customer Storage booth. You may bring your cart, or own trolley, full of unpaid books, deposit it, and then go back to the sale and do the hunting all over again until you’re ready to pay. Make use of the Sorting area for “babawasan ko pa ‘tong pile ko” moments.
5. Cash and card payments are accepted. Now that we’re talking about the actual buying, it might be important to note here that, indeed, the books sold at the sale are cheaper than usual, especially for non-fiction and hardbound books.
6. The venue is air-conditioned, and has parking allotment (P35) outside and toilets that are free to use inside. On the other hand, there are not much food options (there are cafes in the vicinity, and a line of carinderias from across the street, if you will), nor resting/sitting areas. Bring your own baon, maybe, and sit outside and meet new friends!
7. You may go in and out of the sale. Remember to ask a staff to stamp your arm, if in case it has rubbed off. There’s a makeshift Baggage Counter area by the Exit, too—again, if in case of anything.
8. Most important of all: Feel free to check out other people’s carts and initiate conversation. That way, you’ll decrease the ~chance of missing anything, and at the same time, increase the possibility of new friends!
Check out my photos and video from the event below. Enjoy them—and your trip to the sale, too!
Inside #bigbadwolfbooksph! Explored half of the venue and guess which part is the most crowded? ☁ Notes, so far: -Some books appear in multiple categories and genre -Books are not arranged alphabetically (either by title or author), nor are they organized by format -BUT! There's quite a lot to choose from! -Shopping carts available but in case, bring your own trolley 🙌 -Storage is open for those who have hoarder tendecies~ -Toilets are free to use -Can get a little cold (but maybe in the next days, when there are more people, the AC temp will be most comfortable) ☁ #Bookbed #ReadingNation #Booksale #BigBadWolfBooks
Some of the books from #bigbadwolfbooksph. Starting tomorrow until the 25th, the sale will be open 24 hours. You know what to do, #bookworms. Go! ☁ Some more tips (part 1 is in our previous post!): -Food and drinks are not allowed inside the halls. (That said, there are not much food options in the vicinity. There are cafes, and then there are carinderias from across the road. Bring your own baon, maybe?) -Cash and card payments both accepted -Have extra patience with the staff, especially in terms of asking for certain titles and authors -Sorting and storage areas are free to use (These places may also be where you can find new treasures [aka other readers' rejects~]) -And btw, there's parking! For those who have vehicles. ☁ #Bookbed #ReadingNation #Booksale #Books #BigBadWolfBooks