Submit your: Art / Comics / Poetry / Reviews / Stories

Bookbed recommends: ‘The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up’ by Marie Kondo

by Rhoshniyan Sudario

I have always loved cleaning our house, I don’t know why but when I was young I was so curious about how to fold clothes, wash the dishes, and do chores. But no matter how many times I organized our stuff, our house still seemed to be filled with so many things. Recently, I realized that I was only moving things from one place to another. I wasn’t discarding things that I didn’t need anymore, and I kept them only because I thought I would use them in the future. Guess what? I ended up not using them. 

Then, I discovered Marie Kondo around 2018 and I fell in love with the way she lives. I can see that her life is filled with so much joy. I tried doing what she did but when I did, after a few days, everything would just go back to normal. So, I gave up because I thought that it doesn’t matter anymore. Looking back, I realized that I just didn’t understand how to tidy properly, and I didn’t know the amount of joy it would give me to tidy my stuff. Now, I can tell that my heart was not in it; I organized things just for the sake of making our house look “clean.”

“Putting things away creates the illusion that the clutter problem has been solved.”

Her book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, taught me so much about tidying. It didn’t only train me how to properly sort, organize, and clean; it also taught me that it’s about surrounding yourself with things that bring me joy. It’s about appreciating the things that serve purpose in my life. I shouldn’t just keep my room or our house tidy but I should also make peace with the things that bother me and finally let them go.

“So I can tell you from experience that you will never get your house in order if you only clean up half-heartedly.”

After I read the book, I felt this rush of excitement, and before cleaning, I visualized what I wanted my lifestyle and my home to look like. I wrote it on a piece of paper, which became my motivation. 

First, I started with my clothes. I didn’t have many clothes, to begin with, but after discarding and thanking all of the clothes that served their purpose in my life, I felt so much better. It felt like a huge weight was removed from my shoulders and I was pleased to see that my part of the closet is only filled with the clothes that bring me joy. It wasn’t just about discarding them but also thanking them didn’t make me feel guilty about giving them to someone who needed them more than I do. It was like I was sending them on a new journey in their lives. Isn’t that amazing?

“It’s a very strange phenomenon, but when we reduce what we own and essentially “detox” our house, it has a detox effect on our bodies as well.”

No matter what your lifestyle is, I hope you read this book. I want your life to be filled with joy, and I want you to come home without having to feel uneasy. After tidying, you can fully concentrate on the things that you want to do in life. Lastly, never forget to appreciate the things you have around you for they have served you greatly, whether big or small. ☁️


4 responses to “Bookbed recommends: ‘The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up’ by Marie Kondo”

  1. woahhhh! this is awesome. It’s just like the Pareto Principle of 80/20 rule that you only wear 20% of your clothes most of the time and the remaining 80% are just stocked and piled up only in your drawer.

    Liked by 2 people

    1. Hi, EJ! Exactly that. Hahaha! Thanks for reading our blog. Let us know if you pick up this book!

      Liked by 1 person

  2. I can feel this book is a remarkable one. I’ll definitely read this book as well. Thanks for the insights Ms. Sudario. Big help.

    Liked by 2 people

    1. Thank you for reading, Glysa! We hope you enjoy the book.

      Liked by 1 person

Anything to share? :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: